The purpose of the fund is to provide financial assistance to residents who have demonstrated a commitment to the philosophy of International House and the value of “service above self” and encourage them and others to make a contribution to society. It is our belief and hope that residents who give of their talent and time to the life of the College will continue to make a contribution to the community in which they live after leaving International House.
How are scholarships awarded?
A scholarship of $1,000 towards the cost of the student accommodation at International House is awarded each year. Current residents who will be living in the house for the full academic year are encouraged to apply. A Selection Committee of the International House Alumni & Friends will evaluate written applications, conducts interviews and makes a recommendation to the Board of Directors of International House Limited who will make the final decision.
Applicants are assessed on the basis of their community involvement, demonstrated commitment to international friendship, tolerance and cross-cultural understanding. Consideration will also be given to academic merit and financial need.
All current residents who will be residing in the House for the full academic year of the scholarship are eligible to apply.
Angus-Leppan Family Scholarship
In 2007 the Angus-Leppan Family Scholarship was established to provide financial assistance to residents who exemplify the values of International House of friendship, tolerance and cross-cultural understanding and to encourage then and others to make a contribution to society. The annual scholarship is made possible by the generous contribution of Pamela Angus-Leppan a long time friend of International House.
Year / Recipient
2009 Sarah Syzdik, Jarrod Hughes
2010 James Bibby
2012 Riley Court-Bennett, Jonathan Captain-Webb
2013 India Kinsey
2014 Rhyan Clapham
Hugh and Valerie Muir Scholarship
The late Hugh Muir was Professor of Metallurgy at UNSW from 1960 until his retirement in 1983. Hugh was born in Scotland but his parents emigrated to Australia when he was an infant and he spent his boyhood in Yallourn, Victoria, and in Melbourne. He obtained his first degree at Melbourne University in 1944, worked during the War at the Munition Supply Laboratories, and then began a teaching career at Wollongong Technical College. In 1947 he went to New Zealand to establish Metallurgy at the University of Otago in Dunedin. It was there that he met Valerie who had just graduated from that University and had been appointed a lecturer in Economics. They were married in 1949 and soon after went to the United States of America for further study. Hugh obtained his Doctorate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Valerie a Masters Degree from Harvard. They returned to New Zealand, started a family, and finally moved to Australia in 1955, first to Melbourne and then to UNSW. He became Head of School in 1964.
In Sydney, Valerie resumed her career in Economics, first as a tutor at UNSW, and then as a teacher at Wenona School for Girls. After Hugh’s death in 1984 however, she looked for new interests and enrolled at Macquarie University to study English Literature. She completed an honours degree and then pursued research into the writings of women economists in England in the nineteenth century.
Hugh and Valerie were friends of International House from the beginning, and were frequent attenders at Foundation Day Dinners and other functions. Hugh was always interested in students from overseas, and felt privileged to mentor students who, in the early days, came to Australia under the Colombo Plan. His main research was in the strength of steel structures and this led him to make several visits to Asian countries. These included Japan, where he worked at Sendai in the Institute for Materials Research at Tohoku University, and Malaysia where he investigated the failure of dredge buckets used in tin mining. His last research project was as a consultant for the United Nations on tin mining in South East Asia.
Hugh had been a member of the Company of International House and after his death Valerie was asked to take his place. It is this long association with Universities and with UNSW and International House in particular that Valerie wishes to celebrate by the endowment of this Scholarship.
Year / Recipient
2006 Danyall Butt
2007 Tet Fei Yap
2008 Sophie Brossard
2009 Jared Wong
2010 Rachpon Kalra
2011 Andrew Sung
2012 Javan Tjakra
2013 Peter Slattery
2014 Xin Zhao
Minoru Hokari Memorial Scholarship
In 2004 with the generous contribution of the Hokari Family, the Scholarship was established to provide financial assistance to residents who exemplify the values of International House of friendship, tolerance and cross-cultural understanding and to encourage then and others to make a contribution to society. The annual scholarship was dedicated to the memory of Minoru, a former resident of the House who passed away at the age of 33 for his work and service above self to the Gurindji people of Australia.
Year / Recipient
2005 Thomas Randall
2006 Natasha Haneed
2007 Ying Ying Liew, Mimi Ho Ming Kan
2008 Jean Loo, Fiona Lee
2009 Hugh Bromley, Trish Kahawita
2010 Tristan Harley, Eva Buzo
2011 Lyla Berman, Andrew Clayphan
2012 Dean Joffe, Rahul Mohan
2013 Matthew Predny
2014 Piero Craney
Emeritus Professor Ted and Dr Adrienne Thompson Scholarship
Ted was born on the 18th January 1925 and attended Granville Superior Public School. His academic brilliance was such that he was fast-tracked to Parramatta High School, the first co-educational high school in NSW. He was at Sydney University as a 15 year old and had been awarded his Bachelor of Science at 18. It was while doing Honours in chemistry that he met fellow student Adrienne White. They had much in common and enjoyed bushwalking and caving together, as well as attending dances. Ted would cycle from Granville to Adrienne’s home in Epping during their courting days.
They became engaged while bushwalking near Mittagong and were married in 1947. By the time they were married Ted was high school teaching and Adrienne was working as a scientist in industry. The toughest part of teacher training for Ted was being forced to write with his right hand. Such was the wisdom of the day, it was deemed impossible for a leftie to write effectively on the blackboard. Ted received the opportunity to go to Cambridge to complete a PhD; at that time there were no PhD programs in Australia. Adrienne supported Ted while he spent 3 years in Cambridge completing his PhD. In fact she typed his thesis for him, including all four carbon copies. He was supervised by Fred Sanger, a rarity in being awarded a Nobel prize twice, who remained a lifelong friend. In the Cambridge years Ted and Adrienne enjoyed the opportunity to ski in Europe. They then went on to the United States where Ted did a post-doc in the laboratory of Emil Smith.
They returned to live in Melbourne where Ted worked for 12 years in the Wool Research section of the CSIRO and was awarded the David Rivett Medal for excellence in research. During these years their three children were born and
Ted and Adrienne were very active in their local community, helping to establish the first kindergarten and other services needed to support young families. As the children grew older, Adrienne became a science teacher at a local high school. The family moved to Sydney in 1966 so that Ted could take up the appointment of Professor of Biochemistry at the University of NSW. He had a distinguished teaching and research career at the university. Ted was deeply respected by his students, staff and colleagues. He was kind and nurturing, an excellent communicator and good mentor. Adrienne’s employment at UNSW in the Department of Pathology morphed into her undertaking and completing a PhD in her early 50s and she continued as a research scientist until she became very involved in the university, initially through her active involvement as Secretary of Alumni Associates and then as a Member of Council.
Ted retired in 1990 when he became an Emeritus Professor and a Mace Bearer. Adrienne continued her work with Alumni Associates and always accompanied Ted to UNSW events. Adrienne’s involvement with this led to Ted becoming a Board Member and later Chair of the Board at International House with which he maintained a long association given the friendship he developed with Bob and Sue Lundy.
Post-retirement, Ted and Adrienne continued to enjoy the outdoors, camping, bushwalking and canoeing Sydney Harbour. They regularly attended the opera and the ballet and enjoyed the opportunity to meet their family both in
Sydney and supporting their children and grandchildren both locally and as their careers led to relocation to other parts of Australia. They were devoted, loving and supportive to their children in their busy lives and careers and to their grandchildren, encouraging them to follow their heart.
Ted and Adrienne were passionate about life, family, the natural environment, and the value of science, learning and critical thinking. They were avid readers, caring and compassionate and enjoyed the company of friends and family and enjoyed a wonderful sense of humour. They were a complementary couple, deeply committed to each other and are fondly remembered by those who had the pleasure of knowing them.
Emeritus Professor Al Willis Scholarship
The long association of Emeritus Professor A. H. (Al) Willis with the University of New South Wales began on Australia Day 1950 when he arrived from England to take up a post in engineering at what was then still the University of Technology. Al was associated with many of the developments in the University, becoming the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering of the University in 1956 and, in 1967, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor whose duties were to assist the Vice-Chancellor in a range of responsibilities that did not fit neatly into the faculty structure, such as the University’s library services, a department of military studies in Canberra and the evolution of an autonomous University of Wollongong. Another such responsibility was the Wardenship of the newly-established college, International House. The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Sir Philip Baxter, invited Al to head this new college which aimed to meet the needs of international post-graduate students and, in 1968, Al became the first Warden of International House. There was no salary attached to this appointment but he lived at the House for four days a week and relished the opportunity to assist in providing a stable and nurturing environment for international students.
During his years at UNSW, Al wrote and co-authored some technical books. In the years following his retirement, he was commissioned to write a history of UNSW entitled ‘The University of New South Wales: The Baxter Years’ and later wrote a scholarly yet accessible exploration of the Bible entitled ‘A Search for the Christian God’.