• There’s loud music playing above or near me, how do I make a complaint?

  • If a student is making too much noise late at night or early in the morning, in the first instance you can try knocking on their door and politely asking them to keep it down. You’ll probably find they weren’t aware of how loud they were.

    If the noise persists, you can contact the resident staff member/community assistant on duty or if it’s out of hours, you can contact UNSW Security on +61 2 9385 6666.

    You should make sure you follow-up any complaints by emailing the Student Accommodation office with any relevant details:

    • Date & time of the incident;
    • Unit the noise was coming from;
    • Names of people involved;
    • Type of noise; and
    • What action you took.